This Victorian Rifle officer’s sword bears a proof stud associated with the family firm of Pillin and was probably made by George Alfred Pillin. The sword is in great condition.
The 815mm single-edged blade is of the 1845 “Wilkinson” pattern. The almost straight blade has a flat spine above a broad single fuller and tapers to a double-edged spear point. The 7.5mm thick spine is etched with a centre of percussion arrow. The blade is 25mm wide at the ricasso.
The blade is etched on both sides with foliate and floral scrollwork and the ribboned horn of the Rifles.
The ricasso is etched with the cutler’s details, “Hobson & Sons. London & Woolwich.” The obverse ricasso bears a brass proof stud bearing the word “Proved” above a dot. A proof mark known to have been used by the Pillin family of sword makers. The blade is in excellent condition with one small edge nick as shown. The etching is clear and the blade is bright.
The Gothic steel guard is in good condition and incorporates an oval cartouche containing the crowned, strung horn badge of the Rifle Regiment. The guard is bright and rust free with a pale speckled patina. The shagreen grip is in excellent condition and the three strands of copper wire intact and tight. The blade is firm in the hilt.
The steel scabbard has a German silver throat and two suspension rings. The scabbard is in overall great condition with a pale patina. The sword sheathes and draws smoothly and is held firmly within the scabbard.
This is an excellent example of a Victorian Rifle officer’s sword.